Crunchy Lemon Granola with Bee Powered Superfoods
Granola is a breakfast favourite for so many people, and for good reason. Full of oats, nuts and seeds, it’s a great source of fibre, protein, healthy fats and energy. And it’s delicious!
Unfortunately many store-bought granolas contain lots of added sugar and processed vegetable fats, so they’re not so healthy after all…
The good news is that making your own healthy granola is really quick and easy.
When you make your own granola, you can leave out the harmful processed foods, and add in some truly amazing health foods.
For this crunchy lemon granola, I’m adding some of the most powerful natural superfoods on the planet: Manuka Honey and Bee Pollen.
These bee-powered superfoods add sweetness, colour and crunch to the granola, and a serving of extra good health.
Manuka Honey – Unprocessed, 100% pure Manuka Honey is naturally antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. In your food, these properties support healthy oral bacteria, assist digestion and can even reduce irritation and inflammation in the digestive tract.
Bee Pollen – Nature’s own protein powder. With easy-to-absorb amino acids, plus B Vitamins for energy and a range of essential minerals, bee pollen adds a big hit of health to your granola. We add the bee pollen at the end, as heating the granules can reduce its potency.
So get ready to make your Crunchy Lemon Granola with Bee Superfoods:
- 1 ½ Cups plain rolled oats, preferably organic
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup mixed crushed nuts
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup Natural Life™ Manuka Honey
- ½ cup very hot water
- 3 TBS Natural Life™ Bee Pollen
How to make it:
- Pre-heat a fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Mix the oats, coconut, nuts and seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the honey, hot water, vanilla and lemon juice together. Whisk until the honey melts completely.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to completely combine.
- Transfer the mix to the baking trays. Spread the mixture very sparsely over the 2 trays. It cannot be heaped or clumped together; the air between the mix during cooking is what makes the granola crunchy.
- Bake this at about 160°C for 20 mins. Set your timer!
- The granola is ready when the top is has turned light brown in colour. If it needs a little more time, give it another 2-3 mins.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- When totally cool, transfer to an airtight storage container. Add the bee pollen put the lid on give it a big shake so the bee pollen mixes through.
Store your granola in the airtight container for about two weeks.
Enjoy your superfood granola…
Sprinkled over fresh berries and yoghurt
On warm porridge
With overnight oats or chia puddings
As a topping on your smoothie bowl
However you use it, this crunchy lemon granola adds a powerful punch of great health to your day. Enjoy!