10 Natural Supplements for your immune health
September 28 2021·
September 28 2021·
Eating healthily, getting enough sleep and taking exercise are all great ways to help your immune system thrive. Sometimes however, we all need a bit of extra help, and these natural supplements might be what your immune system needs!
- Bee Pollen – Being highly stressed can weaken your immune system, and the vitamin B in bee pollen is a great way to combat stress. The majority of your immune system resides in your digestive system, and because bee pollen aids the digestion process, it may also improve your immune health.
- Manuka Honey – Manuka Honey improves gut and digestive health and in doing so contributes to immune health. A natural antibacterial, antifungal and antibiotic, manuka honey may increase your immune defence by providing resistance to pathogens including h. pylori, e coli and streptococcus.
- Probiotics – these can be found in fermented foods like yoghurt, cheese and kefir, and are commonly sold as supplements. Probiotics increase the amount of good bacteria in your gut to support better gut health, absorption of nutrients and a stronger stomach lining to assist immune function.
- Antioxidants – Abundant in fruits and vegetables, antioxidants are also available in a range of supplements and powders and contribute to better overall health. The antioxidant Vitamins A, C and E fight free radical damage that reduces effective immune response over time. They also help your body produce antibodies and white blood cells essential to a strong immune function.
- Bioflavonoids – Bioflavonoids are found in the skin of most colourful fruits and vegetables. Like antioxidants, they fight free radical damage and increase cell health. They strengthen capillaries and help prevent bacteria passing from the blood into the organs. Bioflavonoids improve the activity of Vitamin C and the two should be taken – or eaten – together!
- Beta-carotene – Another antioxidant that helps boost the body’s T-cell count to fight infection and disease on a cellular level. Beta carotene is found in yellow fruits – pumpkin, squash, carrots and sweet potato.
- Zinc – Zinc also plays a role in the production of white blood cells to aid a strong immune function.
- Vitamin B – Folic acid and vitamin B12 assist the immune system by ensuring healthy production and growth of white blood cells that defend against infections.
- Omega 3 – Found in deep sea fish and a range of natural supplements like green lipped mussel, Omega 3 assists the immune system by increasing the activity of ‘phagocytes’ – cells that destroy bacteria.
- Propolis –Propolis is a natural substance and a potent bioflavonoid containing many of the vitamins listed above for improving immune health. Propolis is a natural antibacterial and can be used as a first line of defence against bacterial invaders orally and topically.